SCA Nights that are usually held every other week at Thomas & Leijsbet’s home in Bar Harbor will not meet for the rest of December 2014. There will be a new schedule starting in February 2015 that will be posted once it is confirmed. The Canton of Basingestoches looks forward to seeing friends, old and new, in the New Year.
There will be a Gate Record Keeping for Endewearde Events workshop on Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm at Bangor Housing Authority, 161 Davis Road, Bangor, Maine. Participants will learn how event attendees should sign in, what waivers need to be completed, and what fees are charged.
No preregistration is required for this workshop. Come join us and learn how more about running one aspect of SCA events.
There is a facebook event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/368775866580644/
Thomas (also known as Peter) will be taking reservations at baronial combat practice in Bangor on Sunday, December 14, 2014 from 4:00-7:00 pm.
Hosted by the Barony of Endewearde
Saturday April 11, 2015
VENUE CHANGE as of 4/10/2015
This SCA event is now being held at
Eastern Maine Community College (EMCC)
Maine Hall, 354 Hogan Road, Bangor, Maine 04401
This new venue is on the same road as the original location at the United Technology Center, 200 Hogan Road. The sign for EMCC is very large and clearly visible. Here is a link to a map of campus so you can find Maine Hall once you arrive
You may find these Google driving directions helpful: http://goo.gl/A4XJ5C
Hear ye! Hear ye! Come one, come all, to learn and expand your knowledge as the Barony of Endewearde hosts the 2015 East Kingdom University ( EKU).
This EKU is an all encompassing university with a full list of classes ranging from Arts & Sciences to Marshall Activities to Service.
April 11, 2015 is the date to mark on your calendars. We have a full technology high school for this event, with enough classroom for a magnitude of classes to fill everyone’s quest for knowledge. A full class listing with descriptions will follow as the event grows near.
Teacher Information: Come, teach and share your passion for the Arts, Sevices and Martial Arts of the SCA. We are looking for educators in every aspect of the SCA. Please contact Lady Yzabell du Perche at email@example.com to volunteer to teach at this EKU. Here is a link to our teacher form:
Please fill this out and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dayboard: A dayboard will be included in the price of the event. It will be a Spanish/ Andalusion menu done by Elvira Violante Ballesteros and Katharine of Kyngesbridge.
Update on Friday, 4/10/2015: The new EMCC site does not have children’s restrictions, and so children may take all classes dependent on instructor discretion! We will still have the full children’s track as well! Site Information & Children’s Activities Room (for all children under age 13). Anyone interested in teaching in the children’s classes, with special requests for classes to be offered to the children that day, or with questions about the children’s programming at this university is asked to email Baroness Isabelle de Montreuil sur Mer at email@example.com.
Merchant Information: Merchants are welcome. There is room inside to set up. Please bring your own display items such as tables, racks, or shelves. Contact Lady Yzabell du Perche at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, shop name, what you sell and how much space you need.
Barter Town Opportunity: Barter town was founded by Auntie M (better known as Michel de Le Champagne) with over 4756 members. Its soul mission is to facilitate bartering among SCA members and craftspeople; to trade medieval(ish) goods or services without the exchange of money. Bring no longer wanted items; feast gear, garb, etc. Trade it out for something you want or need such as garb, jewelry, or even out grown equipment. Bring your items to Troll at 2:00 pm to find great trades.
Handicap Accessibility: The second floor classrooms are accessible by elevator. You may also move cargo to second floor via elevator access.
EKU CLASS PLANNING
Update 3/26/2015: To all of you thinking of teaching at the EKU or if you are teaching, please note the cut-off date for new classes or changes is April 1, 2015 to get your listing in the class brochure. Please contact Yzabell if you have any questions at
EAST KINGDOM UNIVERSITY CLASS SCHEDULE
Updates as of Friday, 4/10/2015: This site does not allow open flame. It also does not provide us with kitchen space for dayboard or classes, or ideal fighting spaces, etc– we are working hard to make this work and hold the scheduled classes with as few adjustments as possible.
CLASS CHANGES: Due to a few constraints in our new location we have had to cancel the following classes:
- Lampwork 101
- Enameling 101
- Hands on Commeda Mask Making
- Quick Farmers Cheese
Instructors have been contacted. We apologize for the inconvenience.
8:00~AM Troll Opens
8:30 – 9:30 AM
- Intro to Archery (Room 102) Martial Activities
- Deconstructing the Byzantine “Tunic Under The Stairs” (Room 115) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Finally, My Pattern Fits! (Room 201) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Intro to Cadels (Room 204) Calligraphy and Illumination
- A Quick & Dirty Primer~on Viking Garb (Room 211) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Brewer’s Q&A Panel (Room 213) Food and Drink
- English Country Dance for Beginners (Room 215) Song and Dance
8:30 – 10:00 AM
- SCA 101 (Room 212) SCA
8:30 – 10:30 AM
- Bayeux “Tapestry” Embroidery Techniques (Room 111) Clothing and Fiber Arts
8:30 AM -1:00 PM
- Etruscan Granulation (Room 105)
8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
- Hands-On Commeda Maskmaking (Room 208) Mask Making Class has been cancelled
9:30 – 10:30 AM
- 14th C Quilting Household Textiles (Room 115) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- How to Thread a Needle:~Embroidery for Beginning (Room 117) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Fantastic Primary Sources and Where to Find Them (Room 211) Research
- Quick Farmer’s Cheese (Room 213) Food and Drink Class has been cancelled
- 15th C Italian Dance (Room 215) Song and Dance
9:30 – 11:30 AM
- The Art of Spinning (Room 113) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Frilled & fretted Veils (Room 201) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Intro to Calligraphy (Room 204) Calligraphy and Illumination
10:00 – 11:30 AM
- Autocrating (Room 212) SCA
10:30 – 11:30 AM
- Lecture on Crossbow Construction (Room 103) Martial Activities
- Introduction to Arrow Making (Room 104) Martial Activities
- Time Telling in Medieval & Renaissance Times (Room 109) Research
- Intro to Runes & Runes Making (Room 111) Research
- Intro to Fliore dei Liberi’s Longsword (Room 114) Martial Activities
- 14th C. Card-Woven Edges (Room 115) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Into to Spear, Polearm, and Field Tac. (Room 116) Martial Activities
- Leather Footwear Roundtable (Room 117) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Peer-like Qualities (Room 207) SCA
- Intro To the Bretons (Room 211) Miscellaneous
- Open Dance (Room 215) Song and Dance
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Second floor hallways (2 lines)
12:00- 1:00 PM
- How to be a Throwing Weapons Marshal (Room 101) Martial Activities
- Herb Roundtable (Room 109) Food and Drink
- Calligraphy or Scroll Palimpsest (Room 111) Calligraphy and Illumination
- Opus Consutum: 14 C Appliqué (Room 115) Clothing and FIber Arts
- Garbing a Gentlewomen: 16th C Florentine Fashion (Room 201) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Intro to Celtic Knots (Room 204) Calligraphy and Illumination
- Research Techniques: Differentiating Allegorical & Historical Garments in Renaissance Art (Room 211) Research
- Ministerial: Period AOA for Service (Room 212) SCA
- Two and a Half Redactions (Room 213)
- Choosing & Documenting Your Name (Room 216) SCA
12:00 – 2:00 PM
- Woodcut Workshop (Room 120)
12:00 – 2:30 PM
- Enameling 101 (Room 105) Class had been cancelled
12:00 – 3:00 PM
- Lampwork 101 (Room 102) Miscellaneous Class has been cancelled
1:00 – 2:00 PM
- Continuous Bow Strings & Fletching (Room 103) Martial Activities
- Basic Coin Making (Room 104)
- Intro to Langes Messer (Room 114) Martial Activities
- Making a Pavilion/ Camp Wall (Room 115) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Leather Footwear Roundtable (Room 117) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Layout for Calligraphers (Room 204) Calligraphy and Illumination
- Some Time With Steffan (Room 207) SCA
- Starting a Local SCA Group (Room 212) SCA
- English Country Dance for Beginners (Room 215) Song and Dance
- The Duties of a Baronial Herald (Room 213) SCA
- Writing Contrafact for Fun (but Probably Not Profit) (Room 113)
Song and Dance
1:00 – 3:00 PM
- Intro to Jewelry Cutting & Chasing (Room 107)
2:00 – 3:00 PM
- Metal Working Roundtable (Room 104)
- Iron Gall Ink: Start – Finish (Room 108) Calligraphy and Illumination
- Medieval Gloves (Room 117) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- Photo Wall Challenge Q&A (Room 209) Miscellaneous
- Double-Faced Card Weaving: Weave Letters, Numbers and Designs (Room 214) Clothing and Fiber Arts
- 20 Tips for Women’s 15th C. Clothing (Room 201) Clothing and Fibert Arts
- The Glair Witch Project (Room 204) Calligraphy and Illumination
- Belly Dancing 101 (Room 205) Song and Dance
- Beginning Wire Weaving (Room 206)
- Tir Mara as a Full Principality (Room 207)
- Persona research: Medieval Alps (Room 211)
- 16th C, Italian Dance (Room 215) Song and Dance
- Voice Heraldry: More Than Being Loud (Room 216) heraldry
Class categories listed above in italics are general descriptions added by the web minister and may not exactly match the categories presented on the printed schedule on the day of the event.
Class Description document update Friday 4/10/2015: Class descriptions are now available by downloading the pdf document EKU Class Descriptions. This document was compiled from two sources, a listing of class descriptions as scheduled at the original site which was posted to the facebook EKU event page and the class times as listed above.
Updated: 4/10/2015: ALL classes will still be held as planned and at their scheduled times– the room numbers will be different but there will be plenty of signs to help you find your way. Please pass this message along to any and all FB groups, mailing lists, and friends you may know of who are attending. Please contact the Chancellor of East Kingdom University, The Honorable Lady Isabelle de Montreuil sur Mer, at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Class Schedule List was updated: Tuesday, April 7, 2015
CLASS SCHEDULE IN CHILDREN’S ACTIVITIES ROOM
The following classes will be held in the Children’s Activities Room:
8:30 – 9:30 AM Scribal Arts
9:30 – 10:30 AM Embroidery
10:30 – 11:15 AM Period Games
11:15 AM Break for Lunch
11:30-1:00 PM Etrucan Granulation
12:00 – 1:00 PM Viking Wire Weaving
1:00 – 2:00 PM What Kind of Peer Are You?
2:00 – 3:00 PM Heraldry 101
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING GUEST MINORS
The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) has a set of policies regarding Minors (children under the age of 18 years old) and their attendance at SCA events. If you are bringing a child for whom you are not the parent or legal guardian (i.e. neighbor’s child, grandchild, cousin, niece/nephew, etc.) then please read the summary of Guest Minor Guidelines below which explain the pre-planning and steps you must take in order to bring the proper documents along with you to each SCA event you plan to attend with the Guest Minor:
Please note that if you are bringing a guest minor under the age of 13 years old, that they will be spending the day in the Children’s Activities Room (see description in the first part of this event announcement).
We are pleased to announce that the Pre-Event gathering will be held at the Sea Dog Brewery in Bangor Maine starting at 6:30 pm on Friday April 10, 2015. We have the “River Driver room’ and separate checks will be offered for both food and drink. The Sea Dog has an open kitchen until 9:45 but the bar area is open until 1:00 am. We will be able to accommodate a seating of 35 people for a meal with unlimited seating in the bar as it is available. The Sea Dog is located at 26 Front Street, Bangor, ME 04401 (207) 947-8009.
NEW EKU EVENT LOCATION
Eastern Maine Community College
354 Hogan Road
Bangor, Maine 04401
Updated Friday, 4/10/2015
DIRECTIONS TO THE NEW SITE
There are several car dealerships on the opposite side of the road of Eastern Maine Community College.
From the South; Take I-95 to exit 187 toward Veazie. Turn Right on Hogan Road. Turn right onto the Eastern Maine Community College campus when you see the sign for EMCC (second road on your right from this exit).
From the North; Take I-95 to exit 187 toward Veazie. Turn Left on Hogan Road and drive on the bridge that passes over I-95 traffic. You will go through 2 traffic lights passing by an I-95 exit ramp. Turn right at the EMCC sign (second road on your right after the I-95 exit ramp).
If you see a car dealership on your right side, you just missed the turn onto campus.
Alternatively you may find these Google driving directions to be of help: http://goo.gl/A4XJ5C
$10.00 for entrance and dayboard
$2.00 for youth members up to 13 years old
Please note that a $5.00 fee is added for non-members of the SCA
Site opens at 8 am and classes are from 8:30 am till 3:30 pm
Event Fees updated 3/17/2015
EKU Event Reservation form:
Update 3/26/2015: Please send in your pre-registration form to make the check-in process at gate move along swiftly and to assist the EKU staff plan for dayboard (lunch).
Dayboard is being prepared by Elvira Violante Ballesteros who hopes to We hope to grace your paletes with a humble menu that will consist of the following:
- Chicken (prepared cold) with a Sage Sauce
- Couscous with Garlic
- Carrot Beridas (carrots cooked with onions and spices)
- Vegetable Pottage
- Bread (Gluten Free bread will be available)
- Garlic Butter
- Honey Butter
- Sekanjabin will also be provided in addition with water
Any dietary restrictions or questions can be directed Elvira Violante Ballesteros at firstname.lastname@example.org
Anyone that wishes to assist in the kitchen the day of the event should contact Lord Neville Sudlow at email@example.com
Lady Yzabell du Perche
Cherrl de la Rouche
Lord Neville Sudlow
INFORMATION THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA
- Facebook event page East Kingdom University, (EKU):
- East Kingdom event announcement for this event:
- Barony of Endewearde event announcement (this webpage)
We are pleased to have the sponsorship and support of the East Kingdom University for this event.
This page was last updated: April 10, 2015
SCA Night in the incipient Canton of Basingestoches has been cancelled for Tuesday evening, December 9, 2014 due to poor driving conditions.
The next SCA Night in Bar Harbor will be held on Monday, December 15th.